A skylight is a beautiful thing in clear weather. Natural light streams in during the day. A star-show takes center stage at night. But if it leaks, all that goodness takes a backseat to worries about inconvenience and rot.
Warner Roofing finds out where your skylight is leaking and will perform all necessary repairs. It may only need minor repairs or to be hit with some silicone caulking or roof cement. At times a leaky skylight could indicate a larger problem either with the roof or window installation.
Finding the Leak
Diagnosing the cause of the leak is the first step in repairing a skylight. Many leaks are caused by improper installation. If you’re comfortable climbing a ladder, you can inspect the unit yourself. Here’s an overview of things that can cause a leak.
- Condensation: In some cases, moisture is caused by condensation rather than a leak. When water collects on the inside of the window, it may drip. Condensation happens in bathrooms, kitchens, greenhouses, or anywhere that’s humid. Using your bathroom or kitchen fan will limit condensation.
- The window is open: Although this falls into the category of the obvious, double-check that the skylight is completely closed before assuming it needs repair.
- Worn weatherstripping or seal: Weatherstripping or seals wear out over time. When this happens, your skylight may leak.
- Pooling on the roof: Another reason your skylight is leaking is that water can’t drain from the roof. This happens when leaves, fir needles, and other debris prevents runoff and water pools, seeping under the shingles. Snow and ice may also create standing water. When the snow and ice begin to melt, puddles form and can drain through the shingles or flashing around the skylight.
- Damaged shingles or flashing: Damage to the roof can cause a skylight to leak. The damage may not be adjacent to the window. Leaky vent flashing or shingles above the window allows water to penetrate the roof and travel to the skylight. This type of damage can become extensive if it’s not promptly repaired.
Repairing the Skylight
A leak can be repaired in various ways. Installing new weatherstripping is a relatively quick fix, but may not be enough. If a window has been leaking for some time, there could be water damage such as mold, mildew, or rot. Sometimes a leak can’t be repaired and the window must be replaced.
New flashing and roof shingles may also need to be installed. Depending on the damage, you may need to replace the skylight completely. Warner Roofing and Construction will remove and replace the old skylight. If needed, we perform repairs to the structure of the roof if necessary.
In addition to skylight repair or replacement, we also perform other roofing services. Roof leak repair, complete roof tear-offs and installation for home improvement, and reroofs or overlays. We’re also experienced in gutter installation, solar tube installation, and maintenance for all aspects of your roofing system.
As a licensed, bonded, and insured roofing contractor, Warner Roofing can help when your skylight is leaking. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.